Being a mother is one of the greatest joys I have ever experienced in my life. When I first found out I was going to have my daughter Ella, my excitement was mixed with a little fear. The reason for my fear and excitement was the same: I am going to be somebody’s MOM!!! Questions like “Will I be a good mom?”, “Will my kid like me?” “Do I even want my kid to like me?” Will my kid be easy going or high strung?” all swirled though my mind. Almost 4 years later, I have the answers to most of those initial questions, but alas, new ones have arrived. I have come to realize that I will never have all the answers, but will make the very best effort I can to be a mom my daughter will be proud of.
One of the biggest ways being a mom has changed me, is my level of compassion and understanding not just for my daughter, but for others. As my daughter has gotten older and her personality is shining though, I have come to realize that she is so much like ME! Which is both comforting and scary! Here are some examples of our similarities.
1. We don’t just “takes someone’s” word on something; We need to know the facts to be true or false because of our own research and investigation.
2. We both love to make up songs about things even if they don’t rhyme or are in tune. 🙂
3. The obsession for fashion and beauty is REAL. My daughter already has very strong opinions on her clothes and hair.
4. We both like to learn though observation.
5. We are always open to trying something different as long as we can do it our way and on our own terms.
I have often laughed every time a realize another way in which we are alike often wondering how this is going to work in her teens. But then I remind myself that all I can do is take it one day at a time and love her with my full being. I am thankful to God for allowing me to be a mom. It is a true honor to raise another human being. It’s amazing to think that even before she was born, I loved her with everything I had and yet as the days turn into months and months turn into years, I find myself loving her even the more!
Favorite Mom Quotes