Written by Paula Jones
Are you a luxury handbag enthusiast who’s looking to buy your first bag, but you don’t know where to start? Maybe there’s a designer handbag that’s caught your eye—and it’s on sale!—but it’s listed on a website that you’ve never heard of before. Or maybe you have a few handbags in mind but you don’t know which one to settle on. Well, I’m happy to help guide you through your first luxury handbag purchase. All you have to do is follow this simple shopping guide.
Be Aware of the Dangers Out There
Shopping for luxury handbags online can save you a lot of money, but it’s also a big risk. One of the most important tips that I can give you in this guide is a pretty obvious one: never let yourself be deceived. As you well know, luxury handbags cost a pretty penny, and when you shop for them online, you’re shopping in shark infested waters.
Counterfeiting has been a known problem for years, especially when it comes to luxury handbags. While some customers may be filled with worry, they can still be tempted beyond their better judgement at the mention of an unbelievable sale. Never let yourself fall prey to this scheme.
Follow These Tips Before Buying
To make sure that you’re getting authentic luxury handbags, make sure to follow these tips:
● Only buy your luxury handbags from authorized name brand boutiques and outside dealers.
● Don’t give any upfront payments, no matter what.
● Do your research before submitting any of your personal information on their website. For instance, if they offer authentication services, call them. See if the person you’re talking to is qualified to give you the information you’re looking for. Ask how long they’ve been in business and for their employee information.
● Check how many items are in their stock. If a luxury handbag is sold out everywhere else you’ve looked, but this dealer has a dozen or more, it should be a red flag.
● Look for information about previous customers (i.e. reviews, ratings, etc.).
One of the best ways to spot a fake is to get up close and personal with the real thing beforehand so that you can notice the small details when looking at the website’s images. While this will not stop the company from using copyright images of the real thing, it will help you rule out a good portion of the fakes.
Let the Hunt Commence!
Once you’ve found a boutique or distributor that you can trust, such as ShopScarpe, The Real Real or ThredUp it’s time to single out the luxury handbag of your dreams. Whether you already have a specific bag or designer in mind, or you’re open to the entire spectrum, you should make sure that you fall desperately in love with that bag before setting it in stone.
If you’re unsure that you’ve found the right bag for you, here are a few questions that you should ask yourself:
● Will it pair well with the clothing in my wardrobe?
● Will I love it just as much as I do right now, a few months and even years down the road?
● Is there a different luxury handbag that has my heart, even if it’s more difficult for me to get my hands on?
● Does it fit my personality?
● Does it feel good when I hold it/wear it in person?
For those last two, it may help to take a trip to a brick-and-mortar boutique that has the handbag in question, even if you plan to buy it online at a later time. Once you’ve found a luxury handbag that exceeds all of your expectations, and you can answer all of these questions without a doubt in your mind, then it’s time for you to make the purchase!